Sunday 15 May 2011

Character Analysis.

Danny;
Your lawyer suggests you always did your best for your children, that you were a good father. Mr.McMillan, I utterly reject that suggestion. It is disgusting to me. How can you possibly believe that beating your wife and threatening to kill her is consistent with good parenting. Suppose your wife's fall down the stairs had turned out differently. Suppose the blow to her head had killed her instead of knocking her unconscious. Had that happened, Mr.McMillan, your child would be no better than orphans.[1]
I froze. Orphans? I could no longer take it. I couldn't sit here listening to these people talk about my father like that. The cruel things I'm hearing can't possibly be used to describe MY father. My father was never like that. I had so much fun with him. We used to do everything together and he never once showed any sign of aggression. I understand there was a possibility my mother could have died... but she didn't. He would never do that to her. He loves her. All families get into stupid fights. Dad promised he would never let that happen again. Please don't take my father away from me forever. Please.

The judge just continued talking. "...reckless, unconscionable, self-serving..." I couldn't seem to absorb the words through my skull. They just wouldn't go through. How could they possibly be talking about my father? This isn't the father I've known all my life. When my mother was reading her victim impact statement, I was appalled at how immoral my father's actions have been. It was all so unconvincing. What stunned me even more was that fact that my mother had been hiding a chunk of her life from my sister and me - from everyone. She didn't even tall her own parents. As she read on, revealing more and more secrets, I didn't want to hear anymore. However, I couldn't tear my eyes off my mother and I didn't dare glance at my father for fear of what I might see - that every word was true.

What happened to my parents? What happened to my family? What’s going to happen with my life? I was sitting on the bench of this court, watching my family shatter to pieces. As much as I am angry, I’m also worried – worried about my dad going to jail, worried that my mom isn’t going to be the strong, happy mom I always knew, and worried about myself, my life, and my future.

Quotes:
1. "My father's no mobster, he's not a - not some sort of pyscho who's going to kill Mom." [2]

This quote shows that Danny is a child with a lot of respect and trust for his father. He contionusly denies the fact that his father is a harmful man.

2."Don't cry. Why are you crying! Why is this all happening to me?" [3]

In the book, there were many things Danny had said which showed him as a bitter person. He constantly blamed his mother for things and frequently snapped at her, too. This quote exhibits Danny's sensitive side. Danny was thinking this quote in his head when he saw his mother break down in front of him. It shows that Danny can be a loving and caring son to for his mother despite all his hateful words.

3. "She sees I look like my dad, now that we're away from him.That's why she never laughs with me." [4]

I feel this quote shows the reader that Danny feels lonely. He believes that his mother doesn't laugh with him just because he looks like his father. Of course this isn't true, however Danny began assuming many things after his life changed tremendously.

Catherine;
 My legs are shaking as I sit here on this bench. Danny is sitting right beside, looking as calm as ever but I know inside he wants my comfort. He wants someone to tell him it’s all just a dream and it’s time to wake up now. But it’s not. I must confess the hidden truth I’ve been concealing from everyone. I’ve put up with this monster I call my husband for far too long.

How could I possibly comfort my son when I can’t even seem to comfort myself? My heart is racing. I pray to god this trial goes well and Paul gets put in jail for a very long time. If he gets out, I don’t think I’ll be able to protect myself and my children from him.

I’m going to up there today, and tell the Judge all the truths I’ve been hiding. I’d already hidden so much from everyone that it seemed impossible to confess but now I’m done with all the lies. I’m really sorry everything has come this far, but now I understand nothing is my fault. I could have told someone and left him sooner. I should have. But I was brainwashed and beaten, abused, and oppressed – caught in the trap of domestic violence.

I’m not dead yet. I’m ready to break free from my past. “I want a new life for me and my children – one in which I will forget to be afraid.” I know Paul will do everything in his power to stop me. If he’s released, he will try to reconcile with me. When I don’t, I seriously believe he will kill me. I know this is the truth. Paul has taken away my job, my happiness, my self-esteem. Please don’t let him take my life. 

Quotes:
1. "I am trying to be completely honest. I won't say Paul was always a bad man, because he wasn't. Not at first."  [5]

This quote shows that Catherine is an honest person. No matter how much she hated Paul for abusing her, she still claimed he wasn't always a bad man.

2. "You will not abuse me like your father did! Don't you ever treat me like this again!" [6]

Lately, Danny would yell at his mother, telling her that her plans for the future weren't right. Danny's mother never talked back. She would get emotional and take what her son said to her. This quote shows Catherine has some confidence and strength. She spent many years fearful of her husband as he abused her and she made it evident that she wouldn't let her son do the same to her.

3. "Davey-boy, it feels so good to be back working. Doing things for - and with other people. Getting ahead. Come along with us, Daivd. Let's be a family again." [7]

After Catherine had finally escaped her husband, she was ready to start a new life - one in which she wouldn't be afraid anymore. This quote shows that she had moved on from the past, and is ready to be a better and stronger woman. 





___________________________________________________________
[1] Rosemarie Boll, The Second Trial (Ontario:Toronto, 2010), 58. 
[2] Boll, 56.
[3] Boll, 79.
[4] Boll, 132.
[5] Boll, 244.
[6] Boll, 118.
[7] Boll, 265.


No comments:

Post a Comment